Local plumbing company shares best practices for winter
Evanston, IL -- (SBWIRE) -- 01/17/2019 -- Nothing can cure cabin fever like a winter getaway. But before leaving home, it's important to make the pipes a priority. According to the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety, burst pipes can cost more than $5,000 in water damage. While vacationers are at greater risk for water damage, pipes can freeze and burst any time under the right conditions.
In addition to offering a full menu of heating services that includes boiler repair in Oak Park, IL, and beyond, American Vintage Home specializes in residential plumbing solutions. This winter, the company is advising homeowners to insulate any exposed piping before temperatures drop. Pipes that run through unheated areas such as the attic, basement or crawlspace are most susceptible to freezing and bursting.
In addition to insulating the pipes, homeowners should take the following preventive measures:
- Avoid lowering the temperature at night. This practice can do more harm than good to pipes.
- Keep garage doors closed to preserve more heat.
- Open cabinet doors in the kitchen and bathroom so warm air can circulate to pipes.
- When temperatures are extreme, let water drip from faucets that are connected to exposed piping. This will reduce pressure on the pipes and help to prevent them from freezing.
- Drain all outside hoses to prevent excess pressure on the pipes.
- Seal any cracks or holes near exposed piping.
- When leaving for an extended period of time, turn off the water supply.
- Keep the heat above 55 degrees at all times.
For full peace of mind, American Vintage Home offers a Plumbing Plan under its Home Service Plan. Members receive an annual plumbing inspection and are entitled to a number of benefits, including 15 percent discounts on plumbing repairs and priority status for emergency service.
For more information on insulating pipes or other preventive measures, customers can ask the experts online and receive an emailed response from American Vintage Home. To request service, customers can schedule an appointment online at americanvintagehome.com.
About American Vintage Home
American Vintage Home has been serving the Chicago North Shore for decades and enhances the comfort and safety of older and newer homes. Offering everything from boiler installation services in Oak Park, IL, to sewer line inspections in Evanston, IL, the company is a one-stop solution for HVAC and plumbing needs. Known as "Your Older Home Experts," American Vintage Home is committed to offering innovative technology and products while preserving older homes' architectures.
For more information on this press release visit:
Media Relations Contact
Email: Click to Email Alyssa Young